Living Ashtanga Yoga with Akasha Ellis
Friday, October 26 – Sunday, October 28
Gorham’s Bluff Meeting House
Friday, October 26
6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Introduction to Ashtanga and Kundalini (All Levels)
Saturday, October 27
8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. – Ashtanga Yoga for Beginners (All Levels)
10:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. – Intermediate Ashtanga Yoga (Intermediate to Advanced)
2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. – Yoga Posture Clinic (All Levels)
4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. – Kundalini Yoga and Meditation (All Levels)
Sunday, October 28
7:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. – Morning Sadhana (Practice with Meditation—Donation Only)
This workshop builds off the phenomenal success of our July Ashtanga intensive. Once again, Atlanta-based Yogi Akasha Ellis will lead participants in “Living Ashtanga Yoga On and Off the Mat.” Featuring five separate sessions – three of which are suited for all experience levels – this workshop delves deeply into the practice of both Ashtanga and Kundalini yoga. An optional, donation-only Sunday morning session will also be offered. Friday and Saturday sessions are individually priced at $35. Those who plan to attend three sessions or more are eligible for an all-sessions pass at a discounted rate (see below). Pre-registration for individual sessions or all-sessions passes is highly recommended because space is limited.
Magic City Yoga, a Birmingham-based yoga center, has partnered with the Institute to plan and produce this workshop.
- Experience Level: Beginner to Advanced
- Required Equipment: Yoga mat
- Maximum Registration: 35 (So reserve your spot today by calling (256) 451-ARTS (2787), ext. 42, or e-mail arts@gorhamsbluff!)
- Pre-Registration All-Sessions Pass (until October 10): $90 ($85 for Institute Members)
- On-Site All-Sessions Pass: $100 ($95 for Institute Members)
- The Lodge on Gorham’s Bluff will offer a satisfying gourmet box lunch to interested workshop participants following on Saturday. Cost: $15.
Ashtanga Yoga Intensive
Saturday, July 28 from 10:00 am to 1:45 p.m.
(On-Site Registration opens at 9:30 a.m.)
Gorham’s Bluff Meeting House
Yoga’s history is ancient and cross-cultural. Evidence of yoga postures (asanas) have been found in the Mayan, Chinese, and Tibetan cultures, all of which
predate yoga’s emergence in the Hindu culture some 5,000 years ago. In the
West, we typically approach yoga for its physical as well as mental benefits.
Yoga strengthens the cardiovascular system, strengthens and stretches the muscles, increases flexibility and balance in the body, and promotes a feeling
of clarity and serenity. Just as there are many styles of dance, so are there
many forms of yoga. In fact, even today, new styles evolve and emerge from
older ones, making yoga an exciting form of creative movement to learn and
This workshop – the first of what we hope will be many yoga workshops in Gorham’s Bluff – will combine two rigorous yoga styles, Ashtanga and Kundalini.
Ashtanga is a method of yoga that involves synchronizing the breath with a progressive series of postures -- a process producing intense internal heat and a purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved
circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind. A typical Kundalini
class incorporates some aspects of traditional yoga asanas with coordinated
breathing techniques, chanting (of mantras), and meditation.
Our workshop leader is Atlanta-based Yogi Akasha Ellis. Akasha has practiced
yoga since the age of eleven, studying under several well known yogis in India
and America. He has been leading yoga classes across the United States for
During the morning, Akasha will guide the workshop through a physical and
strenuous workout. Later in the day, the focus will turn to meditations and
kriyas that work on strengthening your aura leaving you radiant and strong.
This class is suitable for those who are in good physical condition and who
have some exposure to yoga (particularly sun salutations).
- Experience Level: Intermediate
- Required Equipment: Yoga mat
- Maximum Class Size: 20 (So reserve your spot today by calling (256) 451-=
ARTS (2787), ext. 42, or e-mail arts@gorhamsbluff!)
- Pre-Registration Cost (until July 21): $35 ($30 for Institute Members)
- On-Site Registration Cost: $40 ($35 for Institute Members)
- The Lodge on Gorham’s Bluff will offer a satisfying gourmet box lunch to interested workshop participants following the intensive. Cost: $20.
Much of the general information on the history and practice of yoga was gleaned
from the website of Magic City Yoga , a Birmingham-based yoga center which has partnered with the Institute to plan and produce this workshop.
Ceramics for Kids
Saturday and Sunday, July 14 - 15 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
It’s summertime – what better time for kids to use their imaginations and get their hands a little dirty in the process? The upcoming Ceramics for Kids workshop in Gorham’s Bluff offers the perfect opportunity for kids aged 10 to 14 (or thereabouts) to learn about making art and pottery out of clay in a fun, relaxed setting.
Our workshop leader, Don Roden, was born and raised in nearby Pisgah, Alabama, and now lives in the Atlanta area. He has been an artist and an educator for over thirty years, working with kids of all ages.
On Day One of our workshop, Don will start off with an introduction to clay as a medium and then spend the day focusing on the various methods and uses of clay. Students will work on designing and completing a pinch pot by the end of the first day. On Day Two, Don will cover the basics of hand-building techniques and the "coil method," as students will aim to produce more complex designs and art objects, including vases, Don’s famous "river rock pots" (so named for their distinctive water-polished look after firing), and other handmade art forms.
All of the work students produce will be fired and available for pick-up approximately three weeks following completion of the workshop.
- Experience Level: Beginner/Intermediate
- Suggested Age Range: 10 – 14, though exceptions will be considered
- Materials: Instructor will provide clay and any necessary tools (see fee below)
- Maximum Class Size: 12 (So reserve your spot today by calling (256) 451-ARTS (2787), ext. 42, or e-mail email@example.com!)
- Registration Cost: $35 ($30 for Institute Members)
- Materials Fee: $10
- Complimentary snacks and drinks will be provided each day
"See the Light": Photography with Billy Brown
Gorham's Bluff Meeting House
As the leaves turn and Gorham's Bluff is ablaze in the brilliant colors of autumn, renowned Alabama photographer Billy Brown will lead an intensive two-day workshop for shutterbugs of all experience levels. Whether photography is your primary artistic outlet or you just want to take better pictures for the family album, you won't want to miss this exciting opportunity!
Billy will start by getting everyone up to speed on camera basics-things like f-stops, shutter speeds, ISO settings, auto meter and manual exposure settings, exposure compensation, auto focus, depth of field, lens choice and on camera flash.
Then the class moves outdoors for fieldwork. There, you will explore ways to broaden your vision…ways to see with fresh eyes, in order to create powerful and unique images.
As workshoppers photograph the beautiful natural environment of Gorham's Bluff, along with its people and buildings, they'll be asked to be mindful of such questions as how to compose an image, how to use natural light, how to choose lenses and camera positions, how to make background and foreground complement each other, and how to best capture human emotions.
The workshop will return to the classroom on Sunday morning to discuss digital workflow, and after lunch, the group will reconvene for some helpful feedback on the images they have captured during the workshop.
- Experience: None required! All levels welcome!
- Required Equipment: Any camera, digital preferred. Also please bring camera manual!
- Optional Equipment: Laptop with program for downloading images. Tripod.
- Maximum class size: 12 (So reserve your spot today by calling 256.451.ARTS, x.42!)
- Cost: $125.00 (includes lunch catered by the Lodge and snacks both days)
Stay tuned for more information regarding planned workshops in…
- YOGA & MOVEMENT
- CERAMICS FOR KIDS